The Vehicle Efficiency & Controls Development Team in Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center, Inc. (HATCI) is an engineering center that focuses on improving fuel economy performance of Hyundai/Kia vehicles for North American market. The team’s key roles and responsibilities are:
- Establish targets for future fuel economy characteristics through analysis of current and future Hyundai and Kia vehicles as well as competitive vehicles.
- Investigate new technologies, strategies, and methods to attain improved fuel economy in current and future Hyundai and Kia production vehicles while considering system costs, drivability, and performance impacts.
- Analyze competitive data sets and assess future trends in fuel economy related technologies.
- Lead activities for developing and integrating fuel economy related technologies (such as engine, torque converter & transmission, accessories, vehicle coastdown characteristics, as well as control logics and calibrations) to attain targeted vehicle fuel economy and to understand and document impacts/trade-offs to vehicle performance and drivability.
- Understand and coordinate activities with Product Planning, Certification and Regulation teams on impact of proposed fuel economy technologies.
We are looking for a talented and motivated engineer for identifying, developing, and integrating fuel economy technologies in our current and next generation Hyundai/Kia vehicles. This position is responsible for project success as part of a project team providing technical support to internal customers in the area of Powertrain/Vehicle R&D. Travel requirement for this position is up to 15 % of time domestic and international. The ideal candidate must have many of the following experience and be able to significantly contribute in many of these areas:
- Run vehicle test on fuel economy, performance benchmarking, and analyze the test data using tools such as MATLAB/Simulink
- Develop new fuel economy technologies and strategies that enable short-term and long-term benefits for production vehicles
- Integrate new technologies in appropriate vehicle applications and run test for validations
- Support engineering teams within HATCI and in Korea R&D Center to define and demonstrate fuel economy improvement concepts and technologies in vehicle applications through testing and simulation
- Coordinate and track preparation of development and test plans
- Create and present report and document of technical analysis, system trade- offs as well as business case for technologies.